Click on KITEMAN or kites
My web site is intended for
everyone, for those who know nothing at all about kites, kite
enthusiasts, students seeking information for projects, etc,
etc. For whatever reason you have visited my site I hope you
will enjoy your stay and get a better understanding and insight
into this fascinating subject and the magic of kite flying.
WARNING BEFORE GOING ANY FURTHER
Kite flying can be contagious
and could seriously affect your bank balance.
Kite flying is a harmonious blend
of culture, art and science and nearly everyone at sometime in
their lives has found enjoyment and pleasure when flying a kite.
Most still regard a kite as a childrens toy and know very
little about its origins and fascinating history.
Kites have been in existence for nearly 3000 years and have
given pleasure to millions of people over the centuries. They
have also been used for religious and ceremonial occasions, fishing,
manlifting, life saving, signalling, pulling vehicles
and experiments of all kinds, also from its humble beginning
it was the kite which led to the development of one of mankinds
greatest inventions, that of the aeroplane.
- A guide through the history and origins of the kite,
from its early beginnings in the Far East to its spread across
Asia and introduction into Europe.
- images, artwork and cultural background of kites from China,
Japan, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia and Vietnam.
- pictures of some of my favourite kites collected over the
past 30 years which form one of the largest private and comprehensive
collections of Oriental kites in the world, most of which
- pictures and videos I have taken of kites and kite festivals
in China, Japan, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia and Europe. Also
some classic stunt/sports kite moments including Top of the Line,
Hawaiian Delights, Ray Bethell, Sky Dance, AirKraft, the Decorators
- a section on kite surfing and power kiting.
- a gallery of some of the worlds most beautiful kites and
- how to make a simple kite, the best place to launch it and
how it flies.
- links to other kite sites.
- festival dates and information.
- how the Kiteman can help you.